Taxsmith, LLC- 2010 Roth Conversion… Need to Report for 2012!

Taxsmith, LLC – Alternative Minimum Tax
February 17, 2013
Taxsmith, LLC – I receive Social Security Benefits… Am I Required to File a Return?
March 17, 2013

Taxsmith, LLC- 2010 Roth Conversion… Need to Report for 2012!

Taxsmith and the IRS reminds taxpayers who converted amounts to a Roth IRA or designated Roth account in 2010 that in most cases they must report half of the resulting taxable income on their 2012 returns.

Normally, Roth conversions are taxable in the year the conversion occurs. For example, the taxable amount from a 2012 conversion must be included in full on a 2012 return. But under a special rule that applied only to 2010 conversions, taxpayers generally include half the taxable amount in their income for 2011 and half for 2012, unless they chose to include all of it in income on their 2010 return.

Roth conversions in 2010 from traditional IRAs are shown on 2012 Form 1040, Line 15b, or Form 1040A, Line 11b. Conversions from workplace retirement plans, including in-plan rollovers to designated Roth accounts, are reported on Form 1040, Line 16b, or Form 1040A, Line 12b.

Taxpayers who also received Roth distributions in either 2010 or 2011 may be able to report a smaller taxable amount for 2012. Taxpayers who made Roth conversions in 2012 or are planning to do so in 2013 or later years must file Form 8606 to report the conversion. As in 2010 and 2011, income limits no longer apply to Roth IRA conversions. If you have any additional questions please contact a Taxsmith professional at or at